In 2010, I started blogging after a good friend of mine, Serena from What A Sweet Life, convinced me to start posting all of my favourite recipes along with related photos online. She knew how much I loved cooking/baking + photography. We spent a lot of time chatting about food + photos. She strongly thought I would enjoy posting about both my passions and sharing them with others. I was very skeptical, but Serena is a smart girl + really enjoyed blogging herself. I am so glad I listened to her! I cannot even begin to detail what food blogging has brought into my life. Yay for the internet! *hah*
At first, the only people who read this blog were my parents, my sister, and a few friends. (Thanks guys!!!) But over the past two years, I have been lucky enough to increase readership and meet some of the most wonderful, kind-hearted and inspiring people throughout the process. I never would have thought that I could befriend someone I have never met before. But I’ve definitely made friendships with a variety of fantastic food bloggers that I now consider dear friends – friends whom I plan to stay in touch with for many years to come.
These wonderful friends I’ve made are extra special to me, as we share and understand one another’s passion for food and photography. About a month ago, I was sitting reading blog posts by some of my favourite bloggers, and I thought “how great would it be if we could all meet up, share some dinner and chat until the late evening hours.” Unfortunately, since we are all from different places in North America, we are unable to all meet up for dinner – well, for now at least! So, I thought, why not try a virtual potluck with some of my favourite people.
I suggested the idea to the others and luckily everyone agreed! (Thank you! xoxo) We decided we would hold a virtual potluck on May 21, 2012, and highlight flavours of spring.
So, without further ado, please check out what everyone brought to the Veggie Virtual Potluck :)
First up, I brought the Mango Avocado Salad with Pineapple Mint Dressing. It’s a delicious salad because it plays on the spiciness of the arugula, sweetness from the mango, saltiness + crunch of the macadamia nuts and sour/sweet combo of the dressing. Yum!!!
- 4 cups (1 bag) of fresh arugula
- 1 mango; diced
- 1 avocado; diced
- 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts; toasted
- pineapple mint dressing
Pineapple Mint Dressing Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (or 1 tablespoon of honey)
- 4 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a small saucepan without oil, toast the macadamia nuts on medium for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Note: due to the oils in the macadamia nuts, they can burn easily. So be sure to flip them occasionally + keep a close eye on them.
2. Make the Dressing: In a jar, combine the pineapple juice, fresh chopped mint, sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake, shake, shake to combine. Allow dressing to sit for at least 15 minutes before using.
3. Right before serving the salad, chop the avocado and toss with a small amount of the dressing. The acid in the dressing with help prevent the avocados from browning too quickly.
4. Toss the arugula with as much of the dressing as you like. I always put half of the dressing in, taste and then see if anymore is needed. Top the salad with the diced mango, toasted macadamia nuts and avocado. Enjoy!
Source: Baked Bree
And here is what my friends brought to the Virtual Veggie Potluck:
Peaches + Cream
The Vegan Chickpea
Vanilla + Spice
Will Cook for Friends
Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes
The Healthy Wife
Hobby and More
Fork + Beans
Thanks for checking out our Spring Virtual Veggie Potluck. Please be sure to stop by all of the participating blogs for some GREAT recipes.
Also, be sure to check out the blogs of a few others friends I’ve met through blogging! They are always so kind to leave me comments and I appreciate them a lot! They are also very inspiring + creative + talented! :)