These little oat squares loaded with tart cranberries, semi-sweet chocolate and crunchy pecans are addictive. Last weekend, I made a batch of these and delivered them to a few family members. Since then, I’ve received three separate phone calls placing orders for more chocolate cranberry oat squares. And now I suppose I know what I will be doing this weekend! I will be making a double batch of these to keep the masses happy. :)
This recipe is more than just utterly delicious and a huge hit with the family. It also means a lot to me personally, as a dear friend of mine passed this tried-and-true favourite to me. Making some of her favourite recipes keeps her near and dear to my heart.
Spread a little love with these delicious cranberry squares this holiday season :)
- 1 cup of dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups of quick-oats
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 and 1/2 cups of packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4-one ounce squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate; coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Line a 9 X 13 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the cranberries and orange juice in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the cranberry/orange mixture for 30 seconds. Allow mixture to stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter or margarine with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Gradually add in the flour mixture. Stir in the cranberry/orange mixture followed by the chopped chocolate and pecans.
- Spread mixture firmly into the baking pan. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until the centre is set. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Source: a great friend <3
Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate says
These look awesome! I am a fan of any sweets that have an equal or higher ratio of oats to flour!
Me too! And I’m a sucker for anything cranberry. Yum!
Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today says
It’s everything I need. Looks soooo delicious.
Ronnie Fein says
oooh, these are for me. Must try this weekend. Good Thanksgiving treat.
they look so delicious and festive!
I LOVE THESE! So delicious :)
Now you can make your own :) haha! Just kidding. I’ll make more this weekend.
Carol Ritchot says
Courtney, these bars were amazing. I could eat them all day. So could I really put in an order?
All of the ingredients in these squares are so festive – they would be perfect for a Christmas cookie exchange! I hope your holiday treat orders don’t get out of control, or you’ll be sick of baking by Christmas haha