Monday…..we meet again. Back to work after a quiet weekend with family. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Yesterday, I was finally able to get out and enjoy a nice walk at the park without freezing my butt off. The sun was shining and the warmth felt wonderful. We are supposed to get more snow this week, but hopefully it does not last. I am DONE with winter!
Yesterday evening, I decided to use up the last of the sweet potatoes I have had in the pantry. After seeing a recipe for coconut rice in one of my favourite cookbooks, Chloe’s Kitchen, I decided I needed to make something with a Caribbean flare. I love Caribbean flavours – cumin, cinnamon, lime, coconut, mango, cayenne….delicious! I decided to roast the sweet potato with some homemade jerk seasoning. (Note: I’ve included a recipe for jerk seasoning below) Then to add some protein to the dish, I opted for some stewed black beans. I cooked the black beans slowly and infused them with some lime and cumin. To serve, I layered some creamy coconut rice (yum!) with the cumin-lime black bean stew topped off with some jerk spice roasted sweet potatoes and homemade mango salsa. The end result was a fantastic, filling dish with a ton of flavour. I love a one-dish meal loaded with protein, fibre and veggies.
And now for some exciting news!!! In my last post, I alluded to some exciting news that I then proceeded not to post the next day as promised. Oops! Sorry! :) So, without further ado….Jesse and I have decided to get married ^_^ We have booked our wedding ceremony and reception for this upcoming October. 6 months to plan a wedding! Can it be done!? :) We are very excited. I’m not a huge fan of jewelry (odd…I know!), so we have decided to do an engagement trip to England this upcoming summer instead. I am a huge fan of travel! :) Lots of look forward to. Any wedding advice to share? We’ve got the venue booked and my dress so far. What’s next?
Coconut Rice Ingredients
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Basmati or Jasmine rice
- 1-14 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Cumin-Lime Black Beans
- 2-15 ounce cans of organic black beans
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Jerk Seasoned Roasted Sweet Potato
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of jerk seasoning (store bought or use the recipe below)
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro
- fresh mango salsa
1. Preheat oven to 375’F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the sweet potato cubes, canola oil and jerk seasoning. Toss with hands to distribute spice over all sweet potato cubes. Spread the cubes onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Roast sweet potatoes for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, rice, water and salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring mixture to a gentle boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow rice to sit, covered, for another 15 minutes. Set aside.
4. While the rice is cooking, heat canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for a minute or so. Sprinkle cumin powder over the garlic. Add black beans, 1/2 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Allow beans to simmer while the rice is cooking.
5. To serve, layer a scoop of rice with a scoop of the cumin-lime black beans. Top with a helping of jerk roasted sweet potatoes and garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro and mango salsa.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Source: adapted from Chloe Coscarelli (Chloe’s Kitchen)
Combine 2 teaspoons of paprika, 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of ground all-spice, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Store in an airtight container.