- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of diced white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 6 sliced white mini potatoes (or 2 small potatoes; cubed)
- 1-14 oz can of chickpeas; drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch of swiss chard or fresh spinach leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- splash of cream (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, lemon zest and rosemary. Stir for a minute.
2. Add the vegetable stock and potatoes. Cover the pot loosely and bring to a simmer. Simmer the soup until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes). Stir in the rinsed chickpeas.
3. Wash the swiss chard or spinach. Note: If you are using swiss chard, make sure to separate the stems from the leaves. Chop the stems into small pieces and add to the soup. Chop the chard leaves or spinach leaves roughly then add to the soup. Leaving the pot uncovered, simmer the soup until the chard or spinach has wilted slightly (about 3 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Add splash of cream if using. Immediately before serving the soup, add the lemon juice. Stir, serve, enjoy.
Source: Anna Olson – In The Kitchen