- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of unsalted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for the frying pan
- 1 small tin of crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Ingredient Note: You want to try and find unsweetened shredded coconut for this recipe. If you are unable to find it, it’s okay to use the sweetened coconut. However, you must use unsalted macadamia nuts for this recipe. If you cannot find any unsalted ones, simply wash the macadamia nuts (remove the salt) and then bake them a minute or two long in the oven to help dry them out a bit.
1. Preheat the oven to 300’F. Melt the two tablespoons of butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Set the butter aside to cool.
2. In a small frying pan on low-medium heat, toast the coconut. Keep a close eye on the coconut as it gets toasted. Once it’s slightly golden brown (about 2 minutes), set the coconut aside.
3. When the oven is preheated, place the macadamia nuts on a baking sheet. After 2 minutes, toss the macadamia nuts and allow to bake for another minute. Toss again. Continue to toast for another minute. They will become golden brown and fragrant when done. Remove from oven and allow them to cool with the coconut.
4. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
5. Mix the milk, egg and melted butter in a separate small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. Do not overmix the batter, or you will have rubbery pancakes.
6. Roughly chop the macadamia nuts. Fold the nuts and coconut into the pancake batter.
7. Heat a lightly greased nonstick frying pan/griddle over medium heat. Once hot, drop 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake onto the skillet. Cook until bubbles start to form (about 3 minutes) and then flip. Cook for 1 minute on the second side. Note: you may need to grease the skillet/griddle/pan between batches.
8. Stack the pancakes on a plate and cover with a damp tea towel. Keep them warm in the oven until you are ready to serve them. Note: Oven will be off, but still warm from toasting the macadamia nuts.
Serve pancakes with warm pineapple sauce.
Pineapple Sauce: in a small saucepan, heat one small tin of crushed pineapple with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Allow the mixture to simmer while you cook the pancakes. Serve the syrup on top of the coconut macadamia pancakes. Delicious!
Source: Café Flora Cookbook
Emily Jane says
These look unbelievable! Unfortunately I’m allergic to macadamia nuts and Davian coconut… but I can live vicariously through these lovely pictures. You are also a really great photographer – we should all run around and do a photo shoot sometime! :)
I am up getting hungry looking at your blog when I should be sleeping!! xox