- 3 medium red tomatoes; chopped
- 3 medium yellow tomatoes; chopped
- 1 medium onion; chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic; chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 basil leaves; torn
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste (1 teaspoon of salt & 1/2 teaspoon of pepper)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375’F. Place the chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil in an oven proof dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Roast the tomatoes, onions and garlic for 45 minutes; or until the tomatoes have softened and started to lose their shape.
3. Remove the dish from the oven. Add the sugar and vinegar to the pot and mix well. Taste the sauce and see if more seasoning is needed. Return the dish to the oven for 15 minutes. (Note: this would be a good time to start boiling water to cook your pasta)
4. Remove the sauce from the oven. Pour the roasted tomato sauce in either a food processor or blender and purée the sauce. Remember: you MUST cover the lid of the blender with a dish cloth to prevent any splatter from burning you! (I know from experience…ouch!). You can also use a hand immersion blender to purée the sauce.
Serve the sauce on top of cooked spaghetti noodles. Sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese.
Source: Courtney Jones original recipe