- 4 ounces of light cream cheese; room temperature
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of icing sugar (see note)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of pecans; chopped (optional)
- 8 pieces of whole grain bread
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries; rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- oil or butter for pan
1. In a medium sauce pan, cook the blueberries, water and sugar. Allow them to simmer for about 5 minutes; or until the blueberries start to burst. Whisk in cornstarch and lemon juice. Allow mixture to simmer on low until french toast is ready to be served.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese with the icing sugar, vanilla extract and the cinnamon. Mix in the chopped pecans if using. Note: I used 2 tablespoons of icing sugar in the filling and it was quite sweet. Depending on your taste, you might like to use a little less sugar in the filling.
3. In a second small bowl, mix the egg with the milk and 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of butter or canola oil.
5. Spread the vanilla cream cheese filling on top of 4 slices of whole grain bread. With the remaining slices, cover the filling (as if you were making a grilled cheese sandwich). Gently dip both sides of “sandwich” in the egg/milk mixture. Once lightly coated, place bread down in the hot frying pan. Allow the bread to toast until golden brown on the first side, flip, and toast the second side.
6. Serve with blueberry sauce over top.
Source: loosely adapted from Canadian Living Magazine