- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sesame seeds (optional)
In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose and whole wheat flours, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is in coarse crumbs. Stir in milk to form soft slightly sticky dough.
With floured hands, turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Pat out into 7-inch (18 cm) square. Cut into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 strips (and then in half if you’d like smaller biscuits). Place, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake in centre of 425°F (220°C) oven until golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pan on racks. (Make-ahead: Wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks; thaw and reheat in 350°F/180°C oven for 10 minutes.)