- oil for coating baking sheet
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter; room temperature (or Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 1 and 1/3 cup of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 cup of toasted almonds; finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350’F (gas mark 4).
- Lightly oil a cookie or baking sheet.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, 1/3 cup of icing sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, spices and salt.
- Add flour and beat until combined.
- Stir in toasted almonds by hans as to not overbeat the batter.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into tablespoon-size balls. Arrange them on prepared baking sheet. (note: cookies do not spread much, so no need to space them too far apart)
- Bake the cookies until they begin to turn golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and cool on the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Roll the cookies in remaining icing sugar. Cool on rack.
- Roll the cookies in the icing sugar a second time and serve.
Yield: 20 cookes
Adapted from “The Vegan Table” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau