Hello and Happy Vegan Tuesday! :) Oh boy, what a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! I’m still so full, as I literally spent the entire weekend cooking/baking and eating! We had such delicious food over the weekend. Saturday, we hosted Thanksgiving dinner for Jesse’s family. We did a potluck to make things easier for everyone. I made Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Cranberries and Apples. I also made vegetarian meatballs with a white wine rosemary gravy. It was my first time making gravy and I think it turned out quite well (if I do say so myself!) For dessert, I made a frozen pecan pumpkin cheesecake – which I hope to share with you all this week. Sunday, we had dinner at my parents’ place and again…way too much delicious food. Mom made the usual favourite Thanksgiving items including mashed potatoes, cabbage rolls, and perogies. This year, she also made a vegetarian stuffing with fresh pears. I will have to grab the recipe from her to share before American Thanksgiving. For dessert, Mom made pumpkin pie and pecan tarts. Mmm! The pecan tarts were incredible :) My sister brought a terrific salad to dinner with seasoned pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds and pears. It was a huge hit and I hope to post that recipe sometime soon as well.
And now…I’m trying to escape the food coma I’ve been in for nearly 48 hours. *hah* I have a feeling we’ll be eating lighter meals for the remainder of the week to offset all of the overindulging we did this weekend.
One of my favourite light meals to make is a simple soup. One of the yummiest soups we enjoy is this flavourful, healthy sweet potato rosemary soup. And since the recipe is also vegan , I thought it would be perfect to share for this week’s edition of Vegan Tuesdays. I love sweet potatoes. And I love the flavour of rosemary. They work so well together in this soup. The touch of pure maple syrup is really nice and heightens that natural sweetness of the sweet potato. It’s the perfect, light soup for fall – hearty, but not too heavy.
Have a wonderful day! I’ll be back on Thursday with another new recipe. I have a bunch that I cannot wait to share with you :)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs (about 2-3) of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (6-inch) sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 to 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of cream (for the vegetarian version) or soy creamer
Note: You can use canned coconut milk in this recipe, but be sure not to use more than a small splash. You want the focus to be on the sweet potato and rosemary flavours.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft (about 4 minutes). Add the garlic and sauté another minute or so.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, rosemary sprigs and vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are very tender (about 20 to 25 minutes). Turn off the heat and remove the rosemary.
3. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and thick. Add cream or creamer if using and maple syrup. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper again if needed. Keep the soup warm over low heat until ready to serve.
Note: Soup can also be pureed by ladling, in batches, into a food processor or blender and blended until smooth.
Yield: approximately 4 bowls or 6 cups of soup
Source: adapted from Weeknights with Giada