Happy Vegan Tuesday! Today, we are taking a break from Christmas cookies and going with a much lighter + healthy, but delicious curried mango quinoa salad. Lately, I’ve been making a point of having at least one salad a day. Normally, I have a spinach with some fresh fruit and some nuts. But every so often, I need a much more filling, unique salad that can double as a lunch. And this quinoa salad definitely fits the bill. The flavour develops over an hour or so. Therefore, I highly recommend letting the salad sit at least 45 minutes to an hour before serving.
And I better run! I’m catching a plane in the next hour to head west for a conference for work. I’ll be back over the weekend with some new holiday food ideas. Have a fantastic week! xo
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed in cold water and well drained
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of fresh chopped mango
- 1/2 cup of chopped unpeeled, seedless cucumber
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of unsalted cashews
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
1. Bring a large saucepan filled with salted water and the rinsed quinoa to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook quinoa for 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Allow quinoa to cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mango chutney, curry powder, salt, mustard and pepper until well blended.
3. Mix the cooled, cooked quinoa with the chopped mango, cucumber and fresh scallions. Toss in the cashews. Pour dressing onto salad and mix well.
Allow the salad to sit for at least 45 minutes to develop flavours. Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: adapted from The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein
this looks SO delicious! i love the combination of quinoa and mango, and the curry must take it to another level!
Mango and curry and quinoa- this is totally my kind of salad! Yum!
Have a safe trip! xoxo
Beauty…looks really good..have a safe trip…..
Stephanie F says
This looks so good and healthy. Such a great lunch away from home too! I’m keeping this one!
Here’s my Vegan Tuesday: Tacos! http://sharelovealways.blogspot.ca/2012/12/vegan-tuesday-tacos.html
sweet road says
I love the combination of ingredients here… the cashews, mangoes, and cucumber sounds great!
Yum, this sounds awesome!
Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board says
Sounds fresh and light – perfect in between holiday baking! I just made a yummy quinoa salad for my lunches this week too, which helped me feel a little less guilty about all the cookies I’ve been eating lately :) Have a good conference!
lysa jordan says
I love your vegan tuesdays:) This looks delicious, I love mango chutney! the whole thing sounds like a nice fresh and light lunch :)
OMG – Thank you for sharing all these wonderful recipes. They are amazing. I want to try all of them. And I love that´s all vegetarian dishes.
I have a Blog myself, maybe you want to take a look. ;-)
(It´s in German, sorry. :-))
Stephanie @ henry happened says
this looks very light and easy! I’d love to give it a try!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies says
Quinoa? Mango? And cashews? This has my name written all over it! :D I’m going to make this as soon as the good champagne mangoes are in stock again…