- 3 cups of organic rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup of sweetened/unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1. Pre heat the oven to 350′F. Mix together the rolled oats, sliced almonds and shredded coconut in a medium bowl.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the oil + honey over low-medium heat. Once heated through, add the vanilla.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground cardamom and ground ginger. Note: if you’d like a stronger chai flavour, add 1/4 teaspoon of cardamon + ginger.
4. Add the cocoa/spice mixture to the oil/honey mixture. Stir until well combined.
5. Pour the wet mixture on top of the oats/nut mixture. Mix well so that all of the oats and nuts are thoroughly moistened.
6. Pour the granola onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the granola into an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake the granola for 15 minutes. Turn the granola mixture over and then bake for another 5 to 10 minutes (or until the granola is lightly browned and a bit crunchy).
7. Allow the granola to cool on the pan for at least 15 minutes. Break up the cooled granola with your fingers creating nice sized clusters. Granola can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Once you’ve made some cocoa chai granola, try this parfait. Simply top some vanilla yogurt (dairy or non-dairy) with some cocoa chai granola and fresh raspberries. A great change-up to your morning routine!